It's best to know what Sozopol activities you'd like to do when you visit Sozopol, Bulgaria. But if you haven't planned beforehand, here are some possible Sozopol activities which could include visits to a number of Sozopol attractions:
The foundation of the Sea Garden is laid with the first general plan of Burgas in 1891. 72,000sq.m of land with desolated vineyards were transformed into a beautiful public garden. The Sea Garden acquired its modern look during 1910. At this time in Burgas, Mr. George Duhtev, who graduated with honours in Gardening in Austria, started work on the design and landscaping of the park. By 1912 the garden was already fenced. Along the path-ways appeared flower beds and the main areas were planted with cultivated shrubs and park trees. In 1924 the Sea Garden is fully completed. Afforestation material introduced from Hungary, Istanbul, Italy, France, Syria and Lebanon, contributes for the botanical wealth of the park. The Sea Garden is located on high coast and is full whith flowers, trees and sculptures. The Open Summer Theater is located there. The international folklore festival and the Music Festival "Burgas and the Sea" are hosted there each year.
Chateau Medovo is a ethnographic tourist complex built in authentic Bulgarian style, which includes a boutique winery, small hotel area, outdoor and indoor restaurant, handicraft artisan shops and more. Chateau spans 9,000 m2 and is located west of Sunny Beach and north of Burgas, near the Black Sea coast and the mountain skirts of Stara Planina. The Chateau brings together elements of Bulgarian architectural design, authentic artisans and handicrafts, traditional cuisine, exclusive folklore spectacles, and excellent Bulgarian wine. Mineral spring water great for drinking and suitable for balneological spa procedures runs through the complex. Chateau Medovo is affiliated with a group of Bulgarian wineries of high quality reds and whites. These include the brands of Vineks Preslav, Khan Krum, Chateau Rossenovo, and others, as well as the Bulgarian cognac brandies Pliska and Preslav. A large portion of the production comes from private vineyards. The products of the holding group are well known in Russia and parts of Western Europe.
Restaurant "Golden Barrel" is a bit-attraction facility with 250 seats inside. When cold weather is burning fireplaces. Dance floor is 12 meters long, 6 meters wide, located in the center of the house and allows visitors to observe the folklore program from their seats. Walk around the dance floor beautifully decorated with a donkey cart and donkey saddled, which are available for children to walk. By old Bulgarian custom, guests are welcome at the door with bread and salt, and the sounds of bagpipes are housed in specially arranged for them masses. A rich dinner of dishes and drinks will reveal another secret of Bulgarian cuisine. A special place lined barrels are filled with red and white wine, from tourists who pour their own wine with a bit inviting. For young visitors there is a children's program, games and animation. Bulgarian famous characters from fairy tales and Penda Pijo small little ruffians engaged in 4 languages. Diverse program of folk ensemble and singers, and the whimsical "mummers" help the foreign tourists can touch the rich Bulgarian folklore. For lovers of strong sensations - authentic fire dancing. The evening ends with a dance. First-class orchestra playing a dance genre. The house has a corner bit and folklore collection, loom, weave in which a woman dressed in Bulgarian national costume. Optionally, the tourists also wear traditional costumes for photographs. Souvenir shop offers visitors interesting objects of pottery, porcelain, wood and copper. Many more surprises await our guests who relate with you a pleasant experience in the restaurant "Golden Barrel" in the village of Bata and a lasting memory of Bulgaria.
SPARM Supermarket is the largest supermarket in Obzor. With its rich assortment of excellent conditions and facilities for customers, service quality and operational standards established supermarket SPARM is a leader in business.
Ravadinovo Castle is a unique attraction for Bulgaria. It is located left on the road, before village of Ravadinovo when comming from Sozopol. This is not an authentic historical building (even it is still in process of completion), but it was built with understanding and with attention to the all small details, so it looks like a real medieval knight castle. It is built of stones and the total area of the site is around 30 000 sq.m. Front of the castle is situated an artificial lake.There are many gardens and green areas and the building is overgrown with ivy. The castle hosts an art gallery, wine cellar and several large halls. The building has very beautiful night lighting, which makes the place fabulous.
The antique beehive tomb in the town of Pomorie is a cultural monument of national and world significance. It was built back in II – III century and represents an original combination of a typical Thracian beehive tomb and a Roman mausoleum (specialists believe it served as something like mausoleum of a rich Anhiali family). It is located among gardens. It reaches 8 m in height and 60 m in diameter. A corridor leads to a vast round premises, in the center of which a hollow pillar is rising, opening in its upper end like a mushroom passing into the walls. (therefore some people call the tomb - The Hollow Mound). The monument is open for visitors in the summer season.
Art Gallery Petko Zadgorski is one of the oldest in the country. It is an important cultural hub of the town. Here numerous lectures, creative meetings, recitals and chamber concerts are held. It is located in the former Jewish synagogue - a remarkable architectural monument of the city, built in 1905-1910 by the Italian architect Ricardo Toskani. Its top goes with the total involvement of Burgas prominent public figures, artists and cultural figures. From September 1966 the Art Gallery has been housed in the building of the Jewish synagogue. Until 1952 it is enriched with 85 new artworks, including paintings of: Vladimir Dimitrov-Maistora, Dimitar Gyudzhenov, Ilia Petrov. Today the exposition, located on three floors, presents the best of its funds, consisting of about 2000 works - paintings, sculpture, graphics. Pride of the gallery is Strandzhanskata collection of icons, dated from XVII through the beginning of XX century.
Orthodox Temple St. Virgin Mary is the eldest among the churches in Burgas. It was built in the middle of the 19th century (1840-1860). The liturgy in Greek language was held up to the year 1906, when the church was renamed from “The Assumption of Mary” to “The Lord’s Transfiguration”. The church is a three-nave basilica with 12 marble columns on the inside holding the roofing and the wide balcony construction. The church preserves valuables icons painted by monks in the Holy Mountain, Athos peninsula. In the years 1927-28 the church obtained two new towers with bells fitted in. After World War II this religious building was declared for cultural heritage. On the 3rd of March 1952 the Church trustees voted over revealing the old name of the church – “The Assumption of Mary”. During the years 1957-58 the master of iconography Mr. Nikolai Evgenievic Rostovcev painted the entire temple inside new.
The Armenian Apostolic and Orthodox Church Surp Hach (the Holy Cross) was built in 1853, which is stated on the stone over the inside gate and on the marble of the Baptist dome. The temple construction is a one-nave monolith building with basic characteristics of the Armenian Church architecture. Armenian Apostolic and Orthodox Church Surp Hach is among the eldest religious edifice in Burgas, also declared for a cultural heritage.
The cathedral St. St. Cyril and Methodius is the biggest Orthodox Church in the city of Burgas. This is the most important Bulgarian Orthodox church in Burgas. It was built during the period 1894-1907, according to plans of the Italian architect Ricardo Toskani. The church is a three-nave basilica. The great hall of the cathedral is divided by five coupled marble columns. The main dome stands over the twelve-walled drum with small windows. The beautiful stained glass at the main entrance portrays the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius. Authors of the unique frescoes here are the famous Bulgarian painters Prof. Gyudzhenov and Kozhuharov, best known for their work in the cathedral St. Alexander Nevski in Sofia.
The church was built in place of the Old Catholic Church in 1936 according the project of architect Svetoslav Slavov. The architectural plan is a single nave and apse basilica with a strict interior and fine decoration.
Note: The distance is straight line distance (may be called as flying or air distance) between the centre of Sozopol and actual activity. Distance calculation is based on their latitudes and longitudes. This distance may be very much different from the actual travel distance. The approximate travel/road distance also can be very much different than the actual.